• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calif0rnia3

I live in california and was recently arrested on suspicion of DUI. I have not been charged, and due to overwhelming evidence in my favor, have chosen to fight the case and truly believe I may get out of it.
I told my employer, a lawyer, about the situation as soon as it happened. He assured me everything would be fine. A week later, I was laid off.
At first he provided two reasons that had absolutely no truth behind them. When confronted, he finally confessed that the reason for letting me go was because his umbrella insurance was cancelled as a result of my "incident".
My question is this:
If I have not been charged with a DUI, can the insurance cancel his policy? And even more, is this a legitimate reason for termination?
I was left hanging, as he had said he would represent me in my case, and then all of a sudden found myself with zero income and no lawyer. If the grounds for termination are unjust, would I be able to demand my wages up until my court date (assuming I should have at least been insured until this point..correct?)

ecmst12

You can apply for unemployment, but if you drive as part of your job, it is 100% appropriate that you be laid off (at least) until the situation is resolved. If the charges are dropped, you may or may not be reinstated. You should NOT have asked your employer to represent you in your criminal case; that is not the kind of thing you should bring to work with you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">