• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will- how will they know? no relatives

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkNworbic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I do not have any family, and I move around a great deal for work inside the state so I don't know many people. I plan to leave my estate to a charity in my will, which I have been told I can do myself, but I have a concern.

If I pass away, how will anyone even GET my will to carry it out? Is there some place I can register or deposit it? With no family or close friends, I'm not sure how to make sure the courts know the will exists.

anteater

You can deposit the will with the probate court in Michigan:
700.2515 Deposit of will with court in testator's lifetime.
Sec. 2515.
(1) A will in writing that is enclosed in a sealed wrapper, on which is endorsed the testator's name, place of residence, and social security number or state of Michigan driver's license number, if any, and the day on which and the name of the person by whom it is delivered, may be deposited by the individual making the will, or by a person for him or her, with the court in the county where the testator resides. The court shall receive and safely keep the will and give a certificate of the deposit of the will. For this service, the court shall charge and collect a fee as provided by supreme court rule or the revised judicature act of 1961.
The entire section is here:
Michigan Legislature

Who do you plan to nominate as the personal representative of your estate? It would be good to give a copy of the will and the deposit receipt to that person and also to the charity. But, if you ever decide to change your will, remember to inform both.

Even if you write your own will, it would still be good to ask an attorney to take a quick review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">