• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping a felony to a misdameanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swla90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I was just wondering if i can drop a felony down to a misdameanor if i already pleaded guilty and served the time for the crime. I am trying to join the military and i thought it would help me be eligable for waiver. ( All the crimes were committed when i was a juvenile).

No, you can not change the final disposition of the case. Even if you seal or expunge the record you must still disclose the information to the military. Depending on the crime you may be eligible for a waiver but that is entirely up to the branch you wish to join. The Army or National Guard is probably your best bet for a waiver but even then it is still improbable.

CdwJava

I was just wondering if i can drop a felony down to a misdameanor if i already pleaded guilty and served the time for the crime. I am trying to join the military and i thought it would help me be eligable for waiver. ( All the crimes were committed when i was a juvenile).
Actually, it is possible depending on the nature of the offense. Whether the military will accept an offense dropped in this manner is something I cannot answer.

This link to the CA courts has some more information:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/crimlawclean.htm

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">