• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolving a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olliebeeswax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The trust and my sister are in California, I reside in Colorado. My sister and I are parties to a trust set up by my late father. The trust contains stock (which have suffered huge losses) a few thousand dollars and a property in California which is titled in both of our names. My sister lives in California and I live in Colorado. We would like to dissolve the trust leaving the property in both of our names and dividing the remaining assets and liabilities equally. Can we do this with a simple letter declaring our intent, have it notarized and then proceed to divide the assets and liabilities? Would it be better to do this before the end of the year for tax purposes, or would we be better off taking this action in 2009?

Thanks for your help What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California and ColoradoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

No one can answer your question without having read the trust.

You need to hire a California trust attorney to guide you in this matter.

curb1

Your situation should be relatively simple. Divide the assets in the brokerage account and retitle the property.

FlyingRon

If the trust allows you to distribute the assets, then you can do so. If the trust has no assets, it's pretty moribund, no need to stick a knife in it.

Unless the trust requires some sort of declartion, you just do it.

Kiawah

Depends on the language in the trust. I have created trusts which are extremely restrictive as to when and how much can be paid out during my kids lifetime. I've also created an extremely flexible one.

Read the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">