• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pincushion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY We have family members that are all union and also all working for the same company. A family member with clout in the company who is now in middle management and is also a union member has become involved in a divorce. The family is splitting due to this situation. The middle management person is firing and intimidating others/inlaws for personal reasons due to the divorce. What's happening is comparable to the accusations against Sarah Palin when her sister was involved in a nasty divorce with a state trooper and Sarah Palin alledgedly used her clout to get this guy fired. The proof that this is happening and is indeed personal is revealed in an email authored by the divorcing middle management family member. My question is what if anything can be done about intimidating/firing a union member in good standing for personal reasons?

pincushion

No person has gone forward to speak to any company or union representative. Would that be the person to speak to?

cyjeff

In the absence of a CBA, employment is at will and may be terminated at any time for any reason not specifically listed by law as protected.

Being related to your ex wife isn't listed.

HOWEVER, all that means is that the whole rulebook on whether or not this can happen is in the hands of the CBA and, therefore, the local union rep should be consulted.

eerelations

Collective Bargaining Agreement. You sure you're in a union?

The only possibly illegal thing I see happening here is that you've got a union member who's in management - and while that's a huge conflict of interest, it may not actually be illegal.

You may complain to someone at your union's headquarters about this, and about this person's behaviour (which isn't illegal, BTW). It will be up to the union as to whether they want to do anything about it. If they do nothing, that will be legal.

pincushion

my stbx is the union member in management position who is popular, powerful and very manipulative but respected by the union and the company he works for. It's just that he has used his power to hurt me by hurting people I'm related to that he hired that are working on his jobs. Because small children will be affected I was desparate to know if this kind of thing would be viewed as unethical. Because I am not cooperating with his demands in a divorce he has hoped his power over them would influence my decisions. Stupid Human Drama, I know.

pincushion

Well, whether illegal and/or unethical I wondered if there was a course of action to take. Probably not. Most people would probably rather not know because of the personal nature of the circumstances. The last thing I need is to look like an unstable idiot grasping at straws to get back at an unreasonable ex. Thanks.

anteater

Well, whether illegal and/or unethical I wondered if there was a course of action to take.
I believe that you received advice on that in the earlier responses: recourse is with the union.

And, if you are not an employee, then you don't really have standing. The affected employees should be the ones pursuing the action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">