• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired But Not In Writing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrblu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My wife was recently let go from a charter school located in Phoenix, AZ. Understanding that this is a right-to-work state, which apparently means that your employer can fire you without reason. The concept of that alone is unreasonable and makes no sense to me at all as EVERYTHING is done for a reason; good or bad there's a reason behind it.

She started at the beginning of the school year (late August) as a teacher's assistant showing up for work on time and performing her duties to the best of her ability.

She would frequently tell me about the teacher she was working and how she just didn't seem to be working with her as well as she expected. At the end of each day when students were sent to another part of the school for afterschool care (waiting for their parents to arrive) a meeting was supposed to take place between the teacher and the assistant to discuss the events of the day and to go over anything the assistant could do differently and/or improve on. According to my wife (Dana) these meetings almost never took place with the teacher making time for other things be it personal or related to the school. Bottomline was that the teacher never invested the proper time into my wife to make sure she was comfortable with certain processes or what she could do to improve.

Instead the teacher would frequently chastise or critique Dana during class time and well within earshot of the students (between the ages of 9 and 12). Quite often she would include them in her critique practically embarrassing Dana in front of the other students.

While some of the kids may've already been somewhat disorderly or disrespectful those tendancies were enhanced because of the way the head teacher treated Dana.

This went on for most of the time she was there. I would always suggest that Dana speak to the head of the school but when Dana tried to speak to the head of the school it seemed like she couldn't find time for Dana.

Well, just yesterday she was let go from her job without any previous disciplinary warnings or any notice of any kind that she may be in jeopardy of losing her job. When she walked into the office to meet with the head of the school and the teacher she worked under they started out the conversation with, "We've decided to let you go".

Personality conflicts aside I believe every worker should be entitled to being aware that they could be in jeopardy of losing their job and be able to change their work performance in order to retain their job.

While I'm not sure my wife wants the job back (unless she can work under someone else) I do think that it's very unfair and may be against the law to be fired without ANY written information showing their reason (or lack thereof) for firing her.

Is this case worth persuing or should she just move on?

mlane58

What you are referring to is an "At-Will state, not a right to work which has to with unions.
While I'm not sure my wife wants the job back (unless she can work under someone else) I do think that it's very unfair and may be against the law to be fired without ANY written information showing their reason (or lack thereof) for firing her.
Unless your wife had a bona fide contract or was part of a collective bargaining unit, the employer isn't required by law to provide a letter as to why she was terminated.
Personality conflicts aside I believe every worker should be entitled to being aware that they could be in jeopardy of losing their job and be able to change their work performance in order to retain their job.
I don't disagree.
Is this case worth persuing or should she just move on?
She doesn't have a case so she should look for other employment.

eerelations

What you believe and what the law states are not necessarily the same thing. Your wife's former employer is not legally required to provide your wife with written notice of/reasons for her termination, therefore your wife has no case against her former employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">