• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice Clarification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhult

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? non-US / general

How should I interpret the following section of a Contract of Employment, Section "Notice":

"During your employment (including, but not limited to, any period after notice of termination has been served by either party), there shall be no obligation on the Employer to require you to work or perform any duties."

Does it mean it is at the employer's discretion if the employee should "work or perform any duties" once notice has been served, or does it leave room for the employee to make such decision?

mhult

My apologies. I was under the impression the short sentence only could have one meaning, regardless of jurisdiction, once deciphered.

eerelations

If you're in Canada, Australia or the UK, that clause means that the employer is under no obligation to provide you with any work duties at any time, including during a notice period.

Some Random Guy

It sure sounds like you are being suckered by one of those IT staffing firms that will hire you as a full time employee but not pay you unless you are doing billable work. Avoid them like the plague.

mhult

eerelations and Some Random Guy: Thank you for your input, and well, that explains a whole lot. Thanks again. cheers. m.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">