• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pardon/ Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torres13fox

North Carolina
I am a deployed soldier in the U.S. Army currently serving in Iraq. In 1993 I was convicted of a felony charge, desecration to a grave site. The Army waivered that conviction to allow my entrance in the military. As of now, I am prohibited to carry a weapon in the U.S.
My question is, does anyone know if I can have my recored expunged or pardoned so that I may legally own and purchase a firearm again?
I can carry a weapon in defense of our country, but I cant carry a weapon in defense of myself? I find this hard to believe. Surely there is a process I can iniate to have this examined. Please help.
SPC Torres, J.

FlyingRon

If you have no other convictions or PFJ's you can possibly get it expunged. You need to apply and they will search your records and then a judge will make a decision. You should go to the court clerk where you were convicted and ask for the application. You'll need to pay to have your records searched. Some NC courts have a dedicated "expungment" clerk.

cyjeff

Not to rain on the parade, but I did want to tell you that NC is not known for it's free and easy attitude towards expungement.

You have a bit of a road ahead of you.

Having said that... Thank you for what you do for our country. This is the time of year it is hardest to do what you do.

Let me be the first to say we really appreciate it.

jmparmy

Good luck to you on getting that cleared up I am in a similar situation and am wondering if anyone can help. on the 4th of July 2003 I was stopped while walking down the street at like 3 am. I had less than a gram of marijuana on me and made the mistake of throwing it as the officer was walking towards me. needless to say he saw me throw it and I was charged with possession and also possession of alcohol(apparently in new hampshire internal is considered possession) I blew a .08 but alas I was under 21. they agreed to drop the alcohol charge if I pled guilty to the marijuana charge. fast forward to the present day I am 3 years active duty army with 2 deployments already and another coming this summer. I desire to change jobs and the one I want requires a security clearance. I have been told unofficially that it is unlikely that they will grant a waiver for a drug charge. So I guess my question is, is it possible to have this expunged from my record, and if so how likely would it be? any contact info or web links would be greatly appreciated
thanks
spc pimentel

If you don't succeed at the expungement, you could always contact the Governor's office in hopes that he might give you a full pardon for the offense.

Good luck to you on getting that cleared up I am in a similar situation and am wondering if anyone can help. on the 4th of July 2003 I was stopped while walking down the street at like 3 am. I had less than a gram of marijuana on me and made the mistake of throwing it as the officer was walking towards me. needless to say he saw me throw it and I was charged with possession and also possession of alcohol(apparently in new hampshire internal is considered possession) I blew a .08 but alas I was under 21. they agreed to drop the alcohol charge if I pled guilty to the marijuana charge. fast forward to the present day I am 3 years active duty army with 2 deployments already and another coming this summer. I desire to change jobs and the one I want requires a security clearance. I have been told unofficially that it is unlikely that they will grant a waiver for a drug charge. So I guess my question is, is it possible to have this expunged from my record, and if so how likely would it be? any contact info or web links would be greatly appreciated
thanks
spc pimentel
Sorry to rain on this parade as well but an expunging your record does not fix your problem, you will still have to disclose your conviction when applying for a security clearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">