• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The vicious cycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
So like A few of you know my story Im was an off the record criminal a few years backed who changed my life around and then ended up being forced to take a charge for some pos prison gang *********************. any who when I picked up this felony charged I notified my employer I advised them that I received deffered probation I did advise them that it was not a conviction and everything seemed fine. My supervisor made a copy of the paper saying that the felony theft charge was adressed by putting me on deffered probation, he told me my job was secure, he infomed his operations manager and and she assured me that my job was safe

18 months later**************...The company tells us that they archived or lost our original back ground check reports and certain people need to do them again, I was fine with that the company already knew that they had a "thief" handeling customers sensitive info ie credit card numbers bank account numbers ssn all that good stuff. So anyways the results came back fine somehow the charge didnt show up so a 3rd time I was assured that my job was safe

2 months later My new supervisor tells me that the operations manager needs to talk to me upstairs so I finsih working with the customer and I go upstairs. He ask how im doing and basically goes over the whole "well as you know we archived the blah blah blah and the client needs us to blah blah blah" and shows me the background check report and the theft charge comes up and said that ive been barred from dealing with any of the clients customers. I told him that the 2nd background check came back clear and he said that they didnt use the client aproved service so yeah he fired me. After being there 2 years I never not once tried to memorize a credit card number, I was one of the best workers there hands down, I was offered 2 promotions i received multiple awards from the client and this is how they do me

so my question is is there anything i can do?? I would still have a job if they didnt lose/archive our old record I would still have my job if they just went with the second back ground check, Also i never signed for a 3rd background check is there any way to take care of this other than going to the media and letting them know that this huge company let a "thief" handle 27,000 accounts during my time there while knowing about what i was charged for? and the reason why this is called the vicious cycle is because i got hit with a charge i took deffered probation thinkin it was better than guilty verdict now I cant find another job and now i have to sell drugs to support my self and kids.. its all messed up

Hot Topic

I'm sure the company will be interested in rehiring an employee who has considered blackmailing them to get his job back and has admitted on a public forum that he is currently a drug dealer.

I dont really sale crack Im just trying to prove a point. They charge us with a crime ,that limits our options for getting good decent job , and expect us to settle for bussing tables for 6.50 an hour?? No I had a good decent inside office job that I rocked at. I was respected by management and my co-workers but my lawyer sold me the deffered option he didnt tell me its the same as a conviction he didnt tell me that I was going to lose my job lose my house my girlfriend and crap like that. And you know why? they want us to go out and rob people they want us to go out and steal cars and sale drugs because they want us in trouble. They dont lock people like me up because they know im no real threat to society they put people like me on probation so they can collect there taxes but anyways thats not why I started the thread. Is there anything I can do fight the companies decision to fire me? I'd still have my job if they didnt lose their records. Oh and btw Im not going to tell the company that im going to the media so its not black mail

eerelations

To answer your question - because the company was perfectly within its legal rights to fire you, there is nothing you can do to fight their decision.

On a personal note, if the media is interested in your story and publishes it, you will be the star of the story and will permantly blow any chance you may have of ever getting a decent job in the future.

To answer your question - because the company was perfectly within its legal rights to fire you, there is nothing you can do to fight their decision.

On a personal note, if the media is interested in your story and publishes it, you will be the star of the story and will permantly blow any chance you may have of ever getting a decent job in the future.
I know its just so unfair it almost seems illegal that they did this, yes i was charged with a crime but that doesnt make me a criminal. I have never stole anything in my life but im labeled as a thief. Id still have a job if they handled their records right. Now Im forced to take some low end dead end job or maybe even 2 to make up for the money that im losing out on. I didn't do anything work related that cost me my job I was good employee. Also did they need my consent to run a 3rd background check?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Id still have a job if they handled their records right.

You know this for certain? You can say with absolute certainty that they would NEVER, in perpetuity, decided that your record made you ineligible for employment no matter what?

It's great that you turned your life around and I"m not making light of how hard it was. But the fact remains, no one held a gun to your head to get you to commit the crime(s) you did. It was your choice.

You are taking it for granted that never again will an employer be willing to take a chance on you or be impressed by your turn around. One employer did; what makes you so sure no one else will? It may take some time but your defeatist attitude is going to make it that much harder for you.

cyjeff

yes i was charged with a crime but that doesnt make me a criminal.
No, you were CONVICTED of a crime. THAT makes you a criminal.

I have never stole anything in my life but im labeled as a thief.
Didn't I read that you admitted to it?

Id still have a job if they handled their records right.
C'mon. You know better.

You said yourself you were surprised to still have a job.

Now Im forced to take some low end dead end job or maybe even 2 to make up for the money that im losing out on. I didn't do anything work related that cost me my job I was good employee. Also did they need my consent to run a 3rd background check?
No, no they don't.

And if you go to the press, allow me to echo that you will never work for any company like this one again.

Further, if this was in a retail setting, your chances of ever working retail again are none.

No, you were CONVICTED of a crime. THAT makes you a criminal.
A criminal is "someone who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime " I didnt commit a crime i was bullied into admitting to something i didn't do, I was also never convicted I got 5 years deferred probation witch is not the same as a conviction or so they lead us to believe

Didn't I read that you admitted to it?
see above response*[/QUOTE]

C'mon. You know better.

You said yourself you were surprised to still have a job.
true but being fired 18 months after letting the company know is a bit more suprisng

And if you go to the press, allow me to echo that you will never work for any company like this one again.
I dont want to work for a company like this one but you know what I wont do that the people [co-workers and lower management] there respected me and doing that will cost the company a HUGE contract and people will lose their jobs, and unlike the big company I have a heart and care wether or not peoples kids eat

Further, if this was in a retail setting, your chances of ever working retail again are none.
I dont do retail. but anyways bottom line is despite what the lawyers sale you a deferred charge is just as likely to **** up your life as an actual conviction, despite how much good you do for a company in the end they will still umm pardon my french.. **** you and despite being a good decent person society will look at anyone with a criminal charge as trash wether or not they know the whole story/ Thats america for you and i hope this barrack obama fella will change the way things work for us "ghetto" people/ the system isn't fair or forgiving and thats pretty much all i got

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">