• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempted Robbery & Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Halobear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who was attacked on November 12, 2008. She was approaching a bus stop while texting a friend from her phone and was viciously jumped on by a heavily intoxicated woman who I guess thought my friend was trying to call the police on her. Of course at the point when the woman jumped on her, my friend DID call 911 but was pretty well unable to do anything but yell into the phone for help and describe where she was because the deranged woman was trying to grab the phone away from her.

My friend had a meeting with an advocate for the DA's office today to file victim's compensation paperwork and was given the paperwork from the woman's arrest. She was officially charged with attempted robbery, assault with a deadly weapon/instrument, non-firearm, and GBI (bodily injury?). She has a rap sheet a mile long, and this attack occurred while she was out on bail from another crime.

My friend is wondering what the maximum sentence is for this type of crime for a repeat offender?

CdwJava

The maximum offense will depend on the specific statutes for which the person was charged, whether a weapons was involved, whether there are prior qualifying felonies to use as enhancements or strike allegations, etc. Suffice it to say that many years could be the result, but that is not likely to be the end result.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">