• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being sued and don't know why!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarab

michigan
please help my stomach is in knots over this!

i lived with 4 girls one girl had problems with me and another girl. one night she threatened to hit me over instant messenger and i took is seriously. i tried talk to her and it did not work i told her i would file a ppo against her if we did not work things out and she told me to do it and i did and i got one but it only ordered her to not email me, mail, etc. that was not enough for me b/c i wanted her out i was scared of her.. i have seen her harm others before i fought with my landlord and they finally relocated me and when the court date came for the ppo (she appealed it) i did not go b/c i was out of the apartment and did not care since i finally got what i felt i needed so the ppo was terminated. She told me before that she was going to sue me for slander and the other day I was visiting my friend in the apartment and picking up my mail when the girl i had problems with came home then i left. she emailed me later and it said that i should not go there ever especially since there was a ppo and especially since it was terminated i would suffer the consequences of being there (it did not make sense to me) the ppo was not for being around each other that is what i initially wanted but did not get. i was just picking up my mail and visiting my friend in my friends room the ppo is terminated and i am living somewhere else. She is suing me for slander can she do that? she says it is pending. did i do anything wrong? how can you sue for slander on a ppo? i am confused what do i do? what does pending mean?

racer72

In order for her to prove slander, she will have to prove that you spread rumors and falsehoods that damaged her either professionally or in other ways that that affects her ability to earn a living. Pending means she is trying to find evidence against you and that the case is on hold. Have you had an papers served to you naming you as a defendant or respondant? If you have not been served any papers she has not filed anything yet. You might consider a countersuit for harrassment and emotional distress that she has caused. Threatening to sue someone and not going through with it is a form of harrassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">