• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mutual agreement confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booboolou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

For various reasons my attorney has not been doing a great job, I was offered a settlement of say, $20k and I hired an attorney, after starting with a huge starting point it is now at $30k, with her taking 1/3 I get what I came in with when you look at it. And she gets other costs, so I probably will get less what I started.....it can be confusing.

Anyways I am not happy and this is supposedly the last settlement offer so can I still fire her?

This paragraph is throwing me off of what I will have to pay her if I fire her:

"discharged by the client at any time before the the case is resolved, the firm shall be entitled to reasonable compensation for all work done on the case from any eventual recovery."

Does that mean she can get 1/3 still or even more? Please assist.....Thank you in advance.

booboolou

This is what throws me:

....on the case from any eventual recovery."

So she can't get 1/3 just the billable hours? It just is confusing me to think that she can claim 1/3 still because I was awarded a settlement.

Thank in advance for the help!!!

eerelations

1/3 of the settlement might actually be less than the billable hours!

Whatever, you owe this lawyer some money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">