• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vtscott46

My brother was recently let go from his job for suspect of theft of money. He was one of four people who work in his office. He had been at the job for a little over two years and was an excellent employee. His boss accused him of stealing money that had misplaced in the first place by the boss himself. The amount of money was a reasonably large amount (appx. $600). His boss has been known several times in the past for misplacing things, including money. For some reason, he decided to accuse my brother instead of taking responsibility for the lost money. Does my brother have any legal recourse on this matter, or is he pretty much out of luck. Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My brother was recently let go from his job for suspect of theft of money. He was one of four people who work in his office. He had been at the job for a little over two years and was an excellent employee. His boss accused him of stealing money that had misplaced in the first place by the boss himself. The amount of money was a reasonably large amount (appx. $600). His boss has been known several times in the past for misplacing things, including money. For some reason, he decided to accuse my brother instead of taking responsibility for the lost money. Does my brother have any legal recourse on this matter, or is he pretty much out of luck. Thanks for your help.

US Law Only!

cyjeff

And ANYWHERE in the US, it is perfectly legal to terminate an employee for suspicion of theft even if it turns out later that he/she was innocent.

eerelations

It's perfectly legal in Canada too EXCEPT that if it turns out the person didn't commit theft, he/she will be owed some termination pay by the former employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">