• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for spin off of leaving/fired from position.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

About 2 years ago I was fired from a position that I had held for 3 years, the owner said that I quit after an minor verbal altercation with another employee. Basically several Dr's from the practice left to competitors, and left their staff leaving us as easy targets for removal. I went to unemployment and filed because I felt I was wrongly let go. The employer and I fought back and forth on the issue with the unemployment, I won the case up until the point where we went in front of the Administrative Law Judge.

To make a long story short, the physician the owner of the medical practice, in addition to the management has made my life very hard by telling the physicians I am applying for bad things about me. I know this for a fact because one of the office managers slipped up and told me the reason I was no longer being hired for a position that was offered to me was because of what the owner said to the physician that owned the practice I was going to be working for. I was going to sue, but after consulting a lawyer found out that this type of case is hard to prove. It has become so bad that I had to switch career fields and go back to school.

Now I am back in the medical field going to school and will be required to do internships at the hospitals this Dr. frequents. This Dr. is not on staff, but is allowed to do rounds on the patients that are admitted there from the practice.

So my questions are:

1. Can this Dr. request that these hospitals not allow me to intern there?
2. What can I do if this Dr. harasses me while in these hospitals?
3. Do I have to claim that I worked for this practice, or can I use one of the Dr's that were present at my time of employment but no longer works for their practice once I graduate and want to get a job in the same hospitals as this Dr?

Last edited:

eerelations

1. The doctor can ask, but it will be up to the hospital to decide whether or not to allow you to intern there. If the hospital decides not to allow you to intern there, this would be a legal decision.

2. If the doctor harasses you because of your race, religion, gender, disability or age (if you're over 40), you can file a harassment claim with the EEOC. If the doctor harasses you for any other reason, for example because he simply doesn't like you, this would be legal. In this instance, it will be up to the hospital to decide whether or not to stop the doctor's behaviour towards you. If the hospital decides to allow the doctor's behaviour towards you, this would be a legal decision.

3. Of course you can omit your employment with this doctor from your resume. However, if a prospective employer finds out about the ommission, it could quite legally refuse to employ you. I personally recommnend that you put this job on your resume, and provide prospective employers with the other, kinder doctor's contact information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">