• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal info released

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5pvd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My business manager (she has been with the company for only 4 mths) decided to reveal my salary to a subordinate employee which eventually got back to me. I notified the overall boss and we talked tonight. He wants to give a stern warning where I am asking for her termination. I don't see how I can work with this person who is unethical and unprofessional. Is there any legal grounds for termination or just company policy.

thank you for your time,

pvd

eerelations

While what she did was certainly unprofessional, it was not illegal. Legally, her boss doesn't even have to speak to her about this, let alone sternly. And her boss most definitely doesn't have to fire her over it. In fact, she or her boss could fire you for even mentioning it, let alone insisting that she be fired over it. And this would be legal too.

cyjeff

Actually, the discussion between employees of their own salary is protected communication under NLRB statute.

From NLRB | About Us

What are protected concerted activities?

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) protects employees’ rights to engage in protected concerted activities with or without a union, which are usually group activities (2 or more employees acting together) attempting to improve working conditions, such as wages and benefits. Some examples of such activities include:

a) 2 or more employees addressing their employer about improving their working conditions and pay;

b) 1 employee speaking to his/her employer on behalf of him/herself and one or more co-workers about improving workplace conditions;

c) 2 or more employees discussing pay or other work-related issues with each other.

The NLRA also protects any individual employee’s right to engage in union support, membership, and activities.

The NLRA protects an individual employee’s right not to engage in union activities or in other protected, concerted activities.

5pvd

Maybe I need to calrify, I coldn't sleep and it was 3 am when I posted..

I am a physician, our business manager was discussing my salary with a secretary. The secretary has no business knowing what I make and felt uncomfortable to talk about me while I was not present, nor did I ever give her permission to discuss my personal info. The secretary sought me out and explained what the manager said. It appears she is jealous of my incentive bonus and was upset that she does not make one.

Once again it comes down to ethics vs legality. As a business manager, esp. in healthcare, you are upheld to a higher standard and confidentiality is a must. If she signed a confidentiality agreement, does this make it different?

eerelations

It doesn't make a difference. Even if the business manager signed a confidentiality agreement, all she did was violate the agreement; she didn't break any laws. It is completely up to her boss to decide what should be done about it. The boss can fire her and that would be legal. The boss can congratulate her, and that would be legal too.

And again, your boss can fire you for making a fuss about this. I'm not saying that would be appropriate or even that it would happen (I'm just bringing it up as a warning for you to be careful), but if it does happen, it would be legal.

You're right, this does come down to ethics versus legality. And the ethics in this instance aren't protected by law.

5pvd

thanks for all of your time, I just can't wait to go back to work with an unethical/unconfidential business manager who holds all of my info in a cabinet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, there are NO circumstances where the law gives you the right to determine how another employee shall be disciplined unless you yourself are the employee's manager, and not even always then. You do not get to decide that she will be fired. The manager is perfectly within his rights to decide how HIS subordinate will be disciplined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">