• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severing Non Custodial Parents Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deshman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I am not sure if the is the right forum to post this in, so if it's not, please let me know.

My husbnad has sole legal AND physical custody of his 6 year old son. Up until this past September, they shared ONLY legal custody. The courts awarded him the full legal at that time. They also took away her visitation (no phone calls, no seeing him/vacations, nothing). We live in CT and she in VA. Up until that time, she had only called once in a 4 month period, and only 3 times in the year previous. She had her 5 days at Christmas last year, and her 2 weeks the previous summer (this is all she wanted and never asked for more, ot tried to see him at other times during the year): she got none of that this year. She is also not concerned with any of his day to day activities, school or even how his doctor's appointment may go.

Since the court date in September, she hasn't even emailed my husband to ask how he is doing. On the Dec. 3rd, it had been 4 months since she had talked to him.
Her other two children, which she has custody of (ages 3 y.o. and 2 y.o.), are in the process of being removed from her custody by Child Services, because of the filthy conditions and lack of care they get with her: they will be going to their father and his wife, who we know will love and take care of them.

My question is this: how long does my husband have to wait with no contact from her, to sever her rights? Is this considered abandonment? I know in CT, a Judge will not do it unless there is a step-parent ready to adopt them: that would be ME, without giving it a 2nd thought.

Any help you can give us on this would be very helpful. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">