• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WHat Going to Happen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liltrap325

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virgina
Hello my name is brandon and i had shoplifted from macy's and the stufff was worth 255 dollars and they charged me as a felony but i have a clean record and everything..so i wanted to know whats going to happen:(

This is derived from: Virginia Code § 18.2-95 - Grand larceny defined; how punished - Virginia Virginia Code § 18.2-95 - Grand larceny defined; how punished - Virginia Code :: Justia

Virginia Code § 18.2-95 - Grand larceny defined; how punished

§ 18.2-95. Grand larceny defined; how punished.

Any person who (i) commits larceny from the person of another of money or other thing of value of $5 or more, (ii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of goods and chattels of the value of $200 or more, or (iii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of any firearm, regardless of the firearm's value, shall be guilty of grand larceny, punishable by imprisonment in a state correctional facility for not less than one nor more than twenty years or, in the discretion of the jury or court trying the case without a jury, be confined in jail for a period not exceeding twelve months or fined not more than $2,500, either or both.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-100; 1960, c. 358; 1966, c. 247; 1975, cc. 14, 15, 603; 1980, c. 175; 1991, c. 710; 1992, c. 822; 1998, c. 821.)

Most likely though, you would wind up on probation, have to make restitution, agree to never walk into another Macy's as long as you live, pay probation fees, attend counseling, and be a generally all-around good boy. Let's hope this is true for you, and that you've learned your lesson.

cyjeff

In addition to any criminal penalties and fines, you will also be receiving a civil demand in the mail in the next few weeks.

It will be for several hundred dollars.

Pay it. Failure to do so will mean the retailer will take you to court and win... and add on the court costs and legal fees to the already very high CD.

Antigone*

I can't believe my eyes :eek:. The OP actually said thank you (at least he tried) and didn't even get snotty.

It's going to be a great day:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">