• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CD Account Left In Daughters Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpineda2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My daughter's grandfather passed away and left a cd account that was in her name and his name. :D
The bank sent an email to her telling her that she needed to come in and figure out what she wanted to do with the money from the account but the grandmother went to the bank and took all money from the account before my daughter was able to get there. :eek:
Is there anything she can do to get it from her grandmother? :confused:
Grandmother's name was not on the account, only the grandfather 1st and my daughter 2nd. :rolleyes:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

What did the bank tell daughter about releasing the funds to grandma? What was the reason they allowed it?

Dandy Don

What exactly is a "CD account"? Was an actual certificate of deposit purchased or not?

Are there other assets in the estate so that grandmother will be taken care of as a surviving spouse?

Daughter needs to get an explanation from the bank of why they did this but the bank may not cooperate, and then daughter will need to get an attorney so she can decide whether she has grounds to sue the bank or the grandmother for the return of the money. But if grandma is destitute, daughter may want to consider not taking any legal action at all and be sympathetic to the financial needs of her grandmother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">