• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired because of my resume and cover letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

z-dog

I sent out 9 resumes with cover letters to prospective employers. In the cover letter I stated that my present employer decreased my wages instead of closing their doors, and that the company could not offer me room for advancement so I was looking for new employment. One of the prospective employers who I will say is a major hospital called who was my present employer and discussed what I stated in my cover letter to them. My then boss fired me not do to my job performance, I was fired because of the cover letter. He also threatened me by saying if I did not tell him who I sentmy cover letters to I would be sued for libel. I did not tell him. Can I go after who told my employer because that caused me to get fired? And do I have in recourse towards my employer? I live in Nebraska.

In general terms - I was still employed at a collection agency, but decided to look for new employment due to wage decreases and lack of advancement opportunities in the company. I sent resumes and cover letters out to prospective employers. One of the prospective employers contacted my boss and read the cover letter to him. He got mad and fired me on the spot. Do I have any recourse?

[Edited by z-dog on 02-26-2001 at 06:26 PM]

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Can you re-phrase for me?

Who are all these employers? Your *present* employer called your *past* employer, or what?

The only off-the-cuff help I can give you is that resumes are frequently fudged (reason for leaving: seeking new challenges--means "fired).

You cannot lie about college degrees, etc.

If you re-phrse who all these employers are/were, maybe I can help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">