• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Possesion of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huberg79

I live in California and I am 19 years old. Last night I picked up a few buddies from work, including one who is over the age of 21. Since my buddy has his license suspended for an unrelated reason, I agreed to drive him to the store to pick up a keg for his BBQ the following morning. While en route to his house a Police pulled me over for "Having a brake light out". I really didn't think it was a big deal. I thought I'd get a "fix it" ticket but that wasn't the case. The police officer spotted the keg in the back seat and took my information. He asked for a receipt for the keg and ID of the person who bought it. They both checked out but he the police said I was unable to transport the keg since I am not of age. We had nothing else in the vehicle; no tap [for the keg], nothing illegal, NOTHING!
The officer did explain to me that since it is my vehicle I am responsible for anything and everything in the car. The cop wrote me a ticket for Minor Possession of alcohol. I have absolutely NOTHING on my record. I have never even been pulled over. You can say I'm a good kid and I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course that will never hold up in court. Therefore my questions are:

-Even if my friend is of legal drinking age and he took the blame for his own alcohol in my vehicle, why do I receive a ticket and a court date?

-What are the usual punishments/fines/classes that I will have to have to endure?

And is there any advice anyone can give me? It would be much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">