• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17y/o theft III (shoplifting)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bedraggled

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hello,

Unfortunately, my 17y/o daughter was just caught shoplifting. She was issued a citation for theft III. She has never been in trouble before. She is an excellent student and has big plans for a career in the nursing field. Is this going to hurt her chances for getting into the college of her choice? This happened in another city, not where we live. Someone is supposed to let us know when her appearance before the juvenile court is to happen. Does she need a lawyer? Does she say guilty or not guilty at this appearance? Of course she is guilty, she was caught red-handed... Does she plea guilty? What is going to happen? What could be the worst and best case scenario? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hello,

Unfortunately, my 17y/o daughter was just caught shoplifting. She was issued a citation for theft III. She has never been in trouble before. She is an excellent student and has big plans for a career in the nursing field. Is this going to hurt her chances for getting into the college of her choice? This happened in another city, not where we live. Someone is supposed to let us know when her appearance before the juvenile court is to happen. Does she need a lawyer? Does she say guilty or not guilty at this appearance? Of course she is guilty, she was caught red-handed... Does she plea guilty? What is going to happen? What could be the worst and best case scenario? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
"Someone" is not going to let you know. Tell your daughter to call the number on the back of the citation she was given.

In the meantime, prepare for a very large civil demand and the costs involved in getting a lawyer.

Plan on the entire episode costing between 3 and 5 thousand dollars.

bedraggled

Update and questions.

We just got a letter in the mail from the attorney representing the store in which my daughter got caught shoplifting from. They are demanding a civil penalty claim and are asking for an amount to be paid within 20 days from the date of the letter. This letter did not come registered, it just came regular mail. Do we really need to pay this amount?

cyjeff

We just got a letter in the mail from the attorney representing the store in which my daughter got caught shoplifting from. They are demanding a civil penalty claim and are asking for an amount to be paid within 20 days from the date of the letter. This letter did not come registered, it just came regular mail. Do we really need to pay this amount?
Yes.

The civil demand is separate from the criminal penalty. Failure to pay it will mean that the lawyer will take you to court and you will lose... but then be on the hook for the civil demand, the court costs and the retailer's legal fees.

How much was it for?

bedraggled

The demand is for $300.98. Like 10 times over the amount she shoplifted for. If we pay this, will there still be restitution on the criminal side? Just wondering. We have never gone through anything like this before, it is all new. Hopefully it will be a learning experience that will send a message to our daughter...to walk on the right side of the law and all will be good..

Antigone*

The demand is for $300.98. Like 10 times over the amount she shoplifted for. If we pay this, will there still be restitution on the criminal side? Just wondering. We have never gone through anything like this before, it is all new. Hopefully it will be a learning experience that will send a message to our daughter...to walk on the right side of the law and all will be good..
Yes there will most likely still be restitution. I would have my daughter earn every penny of what I'd be spending to make this right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">