• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

elder laws and responsibilties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karen_00

New Jersey,

My grandmother has resided with me in my home for the past 5 years. When she first moved in she gave us 10,000.00 as a nice gesture because we let her stay with us. We do not charge her rent or utilities but she will purcahse groceries every month for us, about 230 dollars a month, unless she needs her otc meds which runs a little more expensive.
She recently has gone out of state to visit her grandson. He is the POA, beneficiary of all her policies, and executor of her will he is also and attorney. While there, she has done something very sneaky and vindictive to me and my family. I gave up the last 5 years of my life taking care of her to she can live comfortably in my home, putting my college and work career on hold as well as family vacations because she can't travel and even making my ten year old son share a room with his sisters for the past 5 years so she can live and manage to save money in case anything happens to her and she needs specialized care. Up until she went to visit this grandson out of state she had 30,000.00 in her savings and since last decemeber he has been funneling it all out of her account THere is now a zero balance in her account and they even went to lengths of naming me the reason they are taking the money out even though she has maintained this balance thus far. (she was in a nursing home for two months and i transferred 3 grand into her checking account to cover a bill that i thought was eminent fortunatley medicare covered the bill and I transferred the money back into her savings. because of this and me apparently not being authorized to manipulate her savings account in anyway (which i had no idea was the case) Both of them know where her life savings has gone and neither of them are telling me anything about it. She even blasted me for opening up the statement (which was not supposed to come to my house since they had her adress temporarily changed) I have been going over her banking with her the past 5 years she has been here and all of a sudden I am not supposed to open anything? I think something has been said to her by outside sources that i am untrustworthy and I do not appreciate the situation, and am very wary of providing any further care to her. She is hoping to come back and live with me again after her little (yet very expensive)visit out of state. Am I legally bound to re-accept her into my home, or do I tell her POA/ beneficiary/ executor grandson that it is up to him to provide assistance however he sees fit until further notice? Please note that while "grammie" is 90+ years old she has all of her faculties and is VERY competent in mind it has been known of her character to be a sneaky manipulative person and up until now i had escaped ever seeing that side of her. Everone told me to never let her get her foot in the door and I didnt listen. What do I do now?.
thank you for your time,
Karen.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">