• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buick86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, My son is going to be 18 years old in March of 2009 but is only a Junior in High School he was told he is not allowed to leave his moms house until he graduates high school is this true?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
"Someone in the court system" is vague enough to make a definite answer impossible, but generally 18 is the age of legal emancipation whether he's graduated high school or not. There might be some wiggle room there for purposes of some kind of probation or other court-ordered stipulations.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are some states where legal emancipation comes with the later of the child's 18th birthday or graduation from high school. I do not know if Ohio is one of those states. However, if it is, then what he was told is true.

proud_parent

There are some states where legal emancipation comes with the later of the child's 18th birthday or graduation from high school. I do not know if Ohio is one of those states. However, if it is, then what he was told is true.
The age of majority in Ohio is 18.

All persons of the age of eighteen years or more, who are under no legal disability, are capable of contracting and are of full age for all purposes.
3109.01. Age of majority. - Ohio 3109.01. Age of majority. - Ohio Code :: Justia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">