• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on POD accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Al in PA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My wife's mother passed away a few weeks ago. She had two accounts, one a 9 month CD and one a checking account. Both accounts named my wife and her sister as POD beneficiaries. Is the income received from these accounts taxable? If so, what rate?

There was about $48k between the two accounts, meaning my wife and her sister each received about $24k.

Additional information: My wife's mother lived in Florida. She is survived by her husband. She left no will, which opens up a bunch of probate questions, which I will ask later under a new thread if needed.

Last edited:

curb1

The POD accounts should have no tax consequences. Her husband will get the rest most likely. What kind of assets did they have? How were they titled?

anteater

My wife's mother passed away a few weeks ago. She had two accounts, one a 9 month CD and one a checking account. Both accounts named my wife and her sister as POD beneficiaries. Is the income received from these accounts taxable? If so, what rate?
Yes, any interest income is taxable. To your wife's mother for any interest earned up to the day she passed away. And to your wife and her sister after that.

The federal rate depends upon the rest of their income. And state tax depemds upon where everybody lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">