• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping house in the family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seanscott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I inherited a house and land that my wife & I live in with our son. I owned the house free & clear before we were married. My wife has a son from a previous marriage that does not live with us.
If I pass away before my wife, I'm afraid she could leave my stepson half interest in the property.
Is there a way I can make sure that my son will obtain 100% in the property?
Thank you for your time.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I inherited a house and land that my wife & I live in with our son. I owned the house free & clear before we were married. My wife has a son from a previous marriage that does not live with us.
If I pass away before my wife, I'm afraid she could leave my stepson half interest in the property.
Is there a way I can make sure that my son will obtain 100% in the property?
Thank you for your time.
Did you place your wife's name on deed?

Kiawah

See a lawyer, construct a will or trust which covers your wishes, and make sure your son knows where the will is and has a copy so that it doesn't mysteriously 'get lost' if you die. Some law firms will hold the original for you in their office for safe keeping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">