• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Property Parking Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lninil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I was visiting someone in an apartment building (45 minutes). I came out to a 'parking on private property' citation - I was parked in the same apartment building lot that I was visiting the person. The parking lot was not marked and there was no way I could have known without someone verbally informing me - which they didn't. The police station attendant said they didn't have to mark it and the landlord called it in and that it would be a civil dispute. I don't understand how they can cite me when they don't have it marked. There were no signs at all and the parking spaces were not marked at all.

The landlord is also a police officer - not that it should matter.

patstew

Ask the person you were visiting what their lease says about visitors' vehicles. And if you're DANG sure there are no signs or markings, take pictures -- go to court.

j991

The parking lot does not need to be marked to off limits to visitors. If it is not marked it is usually up to the leasee that you are visiting you to inform you of the parking rules. That means that you may need to get permission from the landlord. Go over the lease and see what it says about visiting vehicles. If it doesn't forbid visiting vehicles or require the landlord be notified, and there are no signs anywhere (ensure you have pictures to prove it), then you can fight the citation.

lninil

Thanks. That goes with what the police officer was saying. The tenants were supposed to inform me, but didn't. There are no signs at all.

I really think that it should have to be posted. Relying on tenants assumes mental capacity and that they want all visitors. Sometimes they don't have a choice but have visitors due to court orders. The landlord is not backing down on this. Sounds like a real pleasant guy. Oh well, I guess I know for next time.

Happy New Year!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">