• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I pull money out of my trust??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MyRelativesSuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have all of my assets in a Living Trust -- which will be split among my 3 children. Can I write checks from a checking account that is named in the trust? Do I have to clear it with the executor first?? If I want to give some money to my wife, can I take it from my trust??

FlyingRon

Executor? You mean trustee?
Aren't you the trustee?
What does the trust document say?
Is this YOUR revocable trust? Most allow you to do whatever you want with the assets while you are alive. Even if not, you could change the trust.

MyRelativesSuck

By executor, I mean my son who will act as the executor when it's time. My real question is whether or not I can spend the money in my trust as I like?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

By executor, I mean my son who will act as the executor when it's time. My real question is whether or not I can spend the money in my trust as I like?

Thanks!
You are very confused.

"Executors" have nothing to do with trusts.

As to whether you can spend the dough, what does the trust instrument say?

rowz

sounds simple....to me.

Review the language of the trust and follow the details/instructions contained therein.

Others here know better than I, but that sounds like the right way to go.; for now.

curb1

"Generally speaking", yes a person can spend the assets in a revocable (or "Living Trust") as though they weren't in the Trust. You are most likely the Trustee of your Trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">