• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frogsmk

I live in Cleveland, Ohio and am trying to obtain repayment from a now, ex-boyfriend. Over 3 1/2 years the balance due me is $7000. I have exhausted efforts with him and wonder if I can recover any or all of this through filing suit. Most of this money was in the form of personal checks. Please advise.

JETX

This is a VERY common thread on this forum and a search of other responses would be very helpful to you. Click on:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php

Simply, yes, you can pursue litigation, but your chances of success will hinge on the following:
1) Do you have any proof that the funds were loans and repayment terms? If not, it is your word against his (I am sure he will claim that they were gifts). Judge Judy has cases like this all the time and a large part will be your ability to show/prove them as loans.
2) Where does he live in relation to you?? Where were the funds paid and where was the agreement entered?? These are all questions that could affect the venue of the applicable court(s).
3) Your full amount ($7,000) exceeds the jurisdictional limit of most Small Claims actions. You will need to decide if you will settle for less and save attorney costs, or go for all of it which will require filing in a higher court.
4) Finally, you need to be aware of the Statute of Limitations. Ohio is FOUR years, so you are getting VERY close to losing all rights of recovery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">