• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

consensual sex between two minors under age of consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

80s_and_sunny

I'm in Washington State.

My son is 14 and last night sneaked out of the house and had sex with his 13-year-old girlfriend. I want to be able to tell both kids, what the law states about this. I have been Google searching for an hour and can't find anything that applies, so thanks in advance for helping me find the answer.

It's gonna be a long, long day. Sigh.

Silverplum

I'm in Washington State.

My son is 14 and last night sneaked out of the house and had sex with his 13-year-old girlfriend. I want to be able to tell both kids, what the law states about this. I have been Google searching for an hour and can't find anything that applies, so thanks in advance for helping me find the answer.

It's gonna be a long, long day. Sigh.
Washington Age of Consent Lawyers & Legal Information

What is the Age of Consent for Sex in Washington?
In Washington, the age of consent for sex is 16 years old. At this age, a person can consent to sex with any adult, regardless of the age difference between them. Washington’s age of consent laws apply to both heterosexual and homosexual conduct.

Most states allow people below the age of consent, but above a certain age (usually 13 or 14) to consent to sex with a person who is close to the same age. Washington is one of those states, but its system is more complex than most. While this theoretically makes greater allowances for adolescents to engage in consensual, non-exploitative sexual relations, it is also more difficult to tell when sexual conduct is legal, and when it is not.

In Washington, a minor as young as 11 can consent to sex with someone, as long as that person is 2 years older or less. Minors who are 12 to 13 years old can consent to sex with someone who is 3 years older or less. Minors aged 14 or 15 can consent to sex with a person who is 4 years older or less.

(I merely googled "Washington age of consent.")

Silverplum

Poster: Why, thank you kindly for researching the law for me.

Responders, such as SP and SJ: Oh, sure, you're welcome.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

80s_and_sunny

I'm sorry that it took me a little over an hour to respond. Thank you, Silverplum, for helping me with the answer to my question. I am dealing with a family crisis here and I had temporarily logged off, with the intent to check back later. I do have excellent manners and I sincerely apologize for offending you by not replying instantly.

I was overwhelmed by the Google results and even by the Washington state RCW's that I found; none of them are specific to the situation I was asking about regarding two minors. Some of them even seem to contraindicate each other. It's confusing..that's why I needed help. I did the best I could researching this myself before I registered here to ask my question.

seniorjudge

I'm sorry that it took me a little over an hour to respond. Thank you, Silverplum, for helping me with the answer to my question. I am dealing with a family crisis here and I had temporarily logged off, with the intent to check back later. I do have excellent manners and I sincerely apologize for offending you by not replying instantly.

I was overwhelmed by the Google results and even by the Washington state RCW's that I found; none of them are specific to the situation I was asking about regarding two minors. Some of them even seem to contraindicate each other. It's confusing..that's why I needed help. I did the best I could researching this myself before I registered here to ask my question.
Okay.

SP and I need to go over in the corner and consult a moment.

cyjeff

Here is what I would impress upon the young lovers.

First, I would explain the basics of sex... yes, rolling teenage eyes are included. Explain that even the first time can result in pregnancy. Explain that, for all they know, she is pregnant right NOW.

Explain that even if they were smart enough to use a condom, they probably used it wrong.

And yes, they won't like talking about this stuff with their parents. Good. They want to play with adult toys then they can be talked to as adults.

Then, proceed on the basis that she is. In the presence of the girl and HER parents, walk them through a supermarket. Make sure they understand the prices of diapers, formula, incidentals and babysitting.

Make a point that the grandparents are not paying for a dime.

Then, call up some statistics about the cost of child birth, prenatal care and child care. Get some local quotes on child care facilities and ask who is paying the $150 a week while they are in school.

Next up with statistics that show the number of teen mothers that complete high school, college and post graduate work. The number is terribly low... even today.

Finish up with the statement, "Now then, say goodbye. You two cannot be trusted together and, therefore, are no longer allowed to see one another. Your sexual escapade cost you your relationship... even if that means I have to walk to the door of your school in the morning and walk you out in the afternoon. Even if it means the only cell phone you can get is the one that only calls your father and me. Even it if means I monitor your text messages and emails on a nightly basis.

And no, if the little girl IS pregnant, the boy will have the right, after paternity is established, to see the child ... not the MOTHER... until her parents allow it. So say goodbye to each other. If you are determined to screw up your lives, I will do everything I can to stop you."

Tell me how it works out.

MichaCA

I super liked it too. If parents actually took this seriously, it could make sex education funny, embarressing, morbid (the reality of what comes from sex when unprepared). I can only imagine sessions where parents sit with the two lovers...mandatory meetings...where dildo's are waved around while being explained, creams, a condom put on correctly in all seriousness, a session just for adding up a babies expenses...geez, with your current earnings...how are you going to DO this? a visit to the local aids clinic, etc. Perhaps I am overzealous but the fact is, is parents actually took this time, it would have to add some reality into what happens when you have intercourse, and take a whiff (perhaps just enough) of unpleasantness to the "ardour".

Z

zudnic

I live part time in WA and I never date anyone under 20. I've even confirmed age by sneaking a peak at their drivers license. Yes, the legal age is 16. The vagueness in the law is like most U.S states, until 18 parents are the source of that consent. Since I'm 36, would not be wise to date someone 16. Pretty sure the parents would not only withdraw consent, they could press for charges.

In your case though WA also has close in age built into the law. Forget what the exact difference is, think 3 years older, like most states. WA also has a rule about those in authoritive posistions over the minor. At 20 I dated a 16 year old single Mom, not my kid. Her Mom was cool about it and even checked with the cops. So I'm pretty sure its 16 with parents approval of the relationship. Most states will allow a 16 year old to marry with parental permission. Hence why almost all states have an exemption for married 16 year old couples when the legal age is 18 for example. The information on the net and even in WA RCW is vague, but with personel knowledge on parental approval 16 seems to be the age. The close in age usually works if the parents say stop, next time the one warned is in serious trouble.

I'm pretty liberal. Not trying to parent your kid. But I would not allow this to continue. Cases across the U.S have proven even with the laws appearing to be perfectly legal. In this area the police, prosecutor, pressed by peeved parents anything is possible.

I'm reading a book. The girl in foster care was a 13 year old girl who had consented sex with a close in age close family friend her "boyfriend". The parents of the boy wanted to ask social services or maybe it was the police to see if their son could get into trouble for sleeping with the girl. So things can snow ball in this area real fast.

Wenatchee sex ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">