• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bossstang

missouri On Aug. 29 2008 my employer told me that my " position had been eliminated" , but since then they have hired 4 people, is this legal?

j991

Were the new hires in the exact same position that you vacated? Do they recieve the same benefits? etc.

Yes and no, is the simple answer. Yes an employer can eliminate a position, but still hire others at different positions. For example, an employer may eliminate payroll positions, but still need to hire more people for sales jobs.

If you're employer eliminated your position and then hired someone else in the same position at a lower benifit level to safe costs, then no, he can't do that.

ecmst12

Um, yes of COURSE they can do that. They can fire one person and hire someone else to do the exact same job for less money, that is perfectly legal. Why wouldn't it be?

eerelations

Were the new hires in the exact same position that you vacated? Do they recieve the same benefits? etc.

Yes and no, is the simple answer. Yes an employer can eliminate a position, but still hire others at different positions. For example, an employer may eliminate payroll positions, but still need to hire more people for sales jobs.

If you're employer eliminated your position and then hired someone else in the same position at a lower benifit level to safe costs, then no, he can't do that.

OP, please ignore this particular response, it's totally incorrect.

What happened to you is perfectly legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is NO law prohibiting an employer from hiring someone else for lower pay, even after "eliminating" a position. j991 does not know what he is talking about.

cyjeff

OP, please ignore this particular response, it's totally incorrect.

What happened to you is perfectly legal.
Agreed.

You can be fired for any or no reason at any time with or without any prior notification in an "at-will" state baring a CBA or other contracted order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">