• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not yet charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

birch918

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
Was caught on video at work (conv./gas ) only ringing in partial transactions ...skimming.
I know , stupid , wrong , having a really hard time--working 2 part time jobs , well , now one.
Anyway , was called in on day off to supposedly talk to boss - it was local PD instead. Was told by PD that they had been watching " my tapes " and had seen what was going on - they described to me , not vice-versa. I said yes , and then PD said , well there seems to be $ 6000.00 missing since last inventory ! My jaw hit the floor. I quickly informed him that this was most definately not me ( I only skimmed about $ 40 - 100 a Sunday for about 6 wks) that this wasn't from me. We talked voluntarily at PD next day , shared some info about other avenues , he said he would check into & call me. That was 2 wks ago.
The shorted inventory took place a month ago , I just found out they took another this Sunday..don't know the outcome.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thank you for sharing your story. When you have a legal question, be sure to let us know.

birch918

Well, that's just it, I guess i have a couple.
Im 50yrs old , never been in any trouble before , nothing , not even a traffic ticket.
I have no idea what to happen next , so I'm not sure what to ask.
I can't afford a lawyer , but from what I've been told , I can't get one appointed until I'm actually arrested / charged with something. I'm scared to death here , so a tiny bit of nice would go a long way.
Can I be charged if they can't actually see cash leaving the till or inventory leaving in my possession ?

Antigone*

Well, that's just it, I guess i have a couple.
Im 50yrs old , never been in any trouble before , nothing , not even a traffic ticket.
I have no idea what to happen next , so I'm not sure what to ask.
I can't afford a lawyer , but from what I've been told , I can't get one appointed until I'm actually arrested / charged with something. I'm scared to death here , so a tiny bit of nice would go a long way.
Can I be charged if they can't actually see cash leaving the till or inventory leaving in my possession ?
Yes my dear:)

(that my tiny bit of nice)

birch918

Okay , than if anyone else is seen doing anything with inventory or cash during the same time frame , on the same tapes , can I be solely charged for this supposed $ 6000. or only what can be proven ?

ecmst12

The DA will USUALLY only charge people if they have enough evidence to prosecute, but it's solely up to his/her discretion.

I hope you've made arrangements to pay back what you stole. That will make the store less likely to push the DA to charge you.

birch918

As for paying the store back , I can't even get anyone there to talk to me right now . The day that I was called in , the owner was so upset , I couldn't keep up with what he was saying never mind trying to get a word in edgewise...not that I blame him. I do feel horrible for what I did , and yes I know , it's late for that. He is so determined that this is all my fault...honest , it's not. So , all said , I don't think right now he would settle for the approx. $ 700. or so that I know was me. He will laugh in my face. I think my only hope is that they have found other people doing worse. I'm also hoping that this second inventory shows a mistake in the first.
As to the above push by the store , who is it up to as far as the actual pressing of charges ? The store owner or the DA ?

Last edited:

ecmst12

I'm not sure I would mail a check as that might be construed as an admission of guilt for the $6k theft. But certainly mail a letter with your offer, and allow him to respond in his own time.

If you can find a free or low cost legal aid service in your area (try the local bar association), definitely take advantage of it before you do anything. You can make things right for what you did without ending up on the hook for what you didn't do, a lawyer will help protect you.

As far as charges, the store owner/manager will have some input, but the decision is ultimately up to the prosecutor.

W

Willlyjo

As for paying the store back , I can't even get anyone there to talk to me right now . The day that I was called in , the owner was so upset , I couldn't keep up with what he was saying never mind trying to get a word in edgewise...not that I blame him. I do feel horrible for what I did , and yes I know , it's late for that. He is so determined that this is all my fault...honest , it's not. So , all said , I don't think right now he would settle for the approx. $ 700. or so that I know was me. He will laugh in my face. I think my only hope is that they have found other people doing worse. I'm also hoping that this second inventory shows a mistake in the first.
As to the above push by the store , who is it up to as far as the actual pressing of charges ? The store owner or the DA ?
You said that your best and most honest estimate is that you stole as much as 600.00 worth of gas. If that is true to your best estimate, then pay back exactly 600.00! There is no way on earth they can prove you stole more if you didn't!! Stick to your belief that you absolutely owe nothing more no matter what they try to tell you. They should come around and start believeing you are telling the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">