• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eliminated position

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkd2338

I live in Illinois. My position was recently eliminated. I worked for the co for a number of years after being promoted 3 times ending in a salaried management position. I consistantly was required to work 50 hrs per week. I was called into the bosses office and told it was my last day. I was given 6 weeks severance pay and the balance of my vacation pay. As department manager I was concerned about my team. They are still there 3 month later and now reporting to my old boss. I had more seniority than anyone else in the dept and was the only female manger in the facility. I was made manager when the old manager ( a man) was fired. He was hourly and never worked any overtime but was making more than me and was given 6 month severance. I had asked for more severance because I had just returned from major surgery and was still using a cane to walk.
I think I got a bad deal on so many different levels. But, is there anything they did that is illegal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

W

Willlyjo

I live in Illinois. My position was recently eliminated. I worked for the co for a number of years after being promoted 3 times ending in a salaried management position. I consistantly was required to work 50 hrs per week. I was called into the bosses office and told it was my last day. I was given 6 weeks severance pay and the balance of my vacation pay. As department manager I was concerned about my team. They are still there 3 month later and now reporting to my old boss. I had more seniority than anyone else in the dept and was the only female manger in the facility. I was made manager when the old manager ( a man) was fired. He was hourly and never worked any overtime but was making more than me and was given 6 month severance. I had asked for more severance because I had just returned from major surgery and was still using a cane to walk.
I think I got a bad deal on so many different levels. But, is there anything they did that is illegal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
On the basis of what you posted, it seems you were wrongfully terminated! If you had more seniority than others on your team, you should have at least had an option to take a demotion to their level. The fact you wasn't given that option, makes it wrongful. Maybe you can try to show that you were terminated because you are a woman. Please seek help from any one of countless attorneys in our nation who can and will probably help you. Also, I can't help but think that maybe your recent surgery and recovery had something to do with it also. There are laws against termination because someone is or was recently disabled.

Last edited:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
On the basis of what you posted, it seems you were wrongfully terminated! If you had more seniority than others on your team, you should have at least had an option to take a demotion to their level. The fact you wasn't given that option, makes it wrongful. Maybe you can try to show that you were terminated because you are a woman. Please seek help from any one of countless attorneys in our nation who can and will probably help you.
You have no idea what you're talking about. This is absolutely wrong. This site is for legal advice. If you don't know the law, please don't respond.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Willyjo obviously does not understand what is meant by a wrongful termination. Unless a specific law prohibits the employer from terming you for the reason they did, it is NOT a wrongful termination. NO law in any state requires an employer to retain you on the basis of seniority.

wyett717

On the basis of what you posted, it seems you were wrongfully terminated! If you had more seniority than others on your team, you should have at least had an option to take a demotion to their level. The fact you wasn't given that option, makes it wrongful. Maybe you can try to show that you were terminated because you are a woman. Please seek help from any one of countless attorneys in our nation who can and will probably help you. Also, I can't help but think that maybe your recent surgery and recovery had something to do with it also. There are laws against termination because someone is or was recently disabled.
Wow. Just...wow. I believe it says in the TOS that members are not to knowingly post wrongful advice for other members. Willyjo, if you honestly posted this unknowingly, you really need to get your facts straight before posting, because your information is horribly misleading.

Hot Topic

Please name the law that requires that you receive severance pay, jkd2338. And name the law that requires that an employee who's terminated after coming back from surgery is entitled to a larger severance paycheck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">