• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can estate have lein put on it by creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lennstrom14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
i am coowner of house with husband. there is still a mortgage on the house . he is not in great health and senior citizen. i am his poa. he is bipolar and has spending probs. ..he is using fed debt relief to pay back credit cards . contract is for another 2yrs. it is for credit card debt in his name only ..his only aseets are iras (which he has been using to pay fed debt relief monthly fees ) and life insurance ( which a few policies he borrowed against -so face value is less if he dies) ..i am beneficiary on iras and life insurance...
he has no other assets other than small pensions which i am beneficiary for,,and 2 cars ..
if he dies before paying back fed debt relief can either they or credit card co come back on me to satisfy his debts by attaching a lein against our house ...thanks
our bank accts have been separate since we were married years ago...i have good credit .and my own retirement accts and savings...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

lennstrom14

estate question re lein on house

credit card debt was about 50000 in 2007 ....debt co has gotten 2 of the cards negotiated lower so far..more remain till enough is built up in escrow acct to pay them off...
iras i understand cant be attached by creditors ...balance in them is about 50000 total now so after taxes are paid on the ira accts they are worth less than half ...he has no other savings...
pensions military and employer revert to me also but will be less for spousal...
insurance policys which i am beneficiary which have loans on them which have not been paid back ..and they may total 80000 at most ..
he has other whole life which may total another 18,000...
in this event would fed debt relief go after his share in the house to pay legal fees...
could credit card co then put a lein against the house to satisfy what fed debt relief negotiates for the remaining balance...
the debt was solely on his cards in his name only ...he was the one that signed the contract...
if our house is in danger would it be a wise thing to take his name off the house...
his car is 13 yrs old ..and other car is 6 yrs old which our son uses for work and school...
this is the extent of his assets....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">