• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KNsix

Hello,

I live in California and since July 1999, I have been having a problem with a County Hospital regarding a bill they insist I owe. Upon entering their outpatient clinic, I paid $25.00 admission fee and waited 55 minutes for a doctor that was too busy to examine me or discuss what I came in for. He asked me to make another appointment, which I did. About two weeks later, I was sent a bill for $90.00 for the office visit. Mad as hell, I immediately canceled my follow-up appointment and refused to pay the bill due to not getting medical care. Through four costly (registered) letters, trying to resolve this by explaining I received no medical care, they insist, according to their records, I did get care and that I owe the bill. They have been billing me every month since 1999 and I have been throwing the statements away, refusing to pay. They now sent me a letter stating that if I don't pay they will put this into a collection agency. My question is: Isn't there a Statute of Limitations on being able to collect a debt? Since this took place July 1999 and it is now almost March 2001, there should be. Thanks -

JETX

California Statute of Limitations is 4 years. Looks like you have a little longer before this one is unenforcable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">