• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying debt for a deceased relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krich1954

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.
My deceased aunt did not have any children and lots of debt. Her illness had been ongoing for over 20 years. Her will left her home for a niece and stated it should remain in the family. The creditors are contacting my dad and me asking for payments. Are we obiligated to pay her debt? They keep asking about her estate. Not sure what they mean. They also said her will must be probated. Not sure what that means either. Any help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

In real simple terms, probate is the legal process by which the deceased's affairs are settled. That includes having the court accept the will as valid, paying the deceased's creditors, and distributing the deceased's remaining assets. Without probate, a will has no legal significance.

This is a link to the State Bar of Texas' intro to probate:

State Bar of Texas | Administering an Estate and Probate

Neither your nor your father is responsible for your aunt's debts unless you have signed something assuming responsibility. You can tell the creditors to bugger off if you like. However, the niece should not count on eventually owning that home unless she or someone else is willing to pay aunt's legitimate creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">