• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion or quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awrootbeer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My boss says he cannot afford to have me on the payroll. He told me I have to quit. He said that I can be demoted from an Assistant Manager to a Supervisor from $13/hr to $10. He said that he would do that as a short term thing to give me more time to find a job. What I think will happen is that once I get demoted, I will end up getting my hours cut like the rest and put to work on odd shifts so that I just quit. He does not want me working there anymore because I am the highest paid worker. Don't get me wrong, he loves my work, but has his business to save. Though it seems like he is being nice, he is just trying to take care of himself. I have worked there for almost 5 years now. I am afraid to take the demotion because I will eventually lose his game. I have been looking for a new job, but I am a single dad and it is hard to find one that pays the same and works with his school schedule (I dont want to work nights).

Here is his email to the Store Manager:
You probably know that I talked with ROOTBEER about his job a couple days
> ago. I told him he had to either look for work elsewhere or his wage
> and job would be reduced from AM to supervisor and to $10/hour. This
> needs to happen soon, the beginning of the next pay period, so let me
> know if he let's you know which he chooses to do.
> Owner

Do I take the demotion? Is there someway I can get unemployment as I try to get another job because I know it will be just temporary? ???:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have been offered available work. That means if you quit you will NOT get unemployment.

It is *possible* that if you take the demotion you will be able to get partial unemployment benefits to make up some of the difference. But either way, if you take the demotion you will have some income; if you quit you will have no income.

The choice is yours.

awrootbeer

I dont think it matters if I am offered work...if I quit, I get nothing in return..right? I am just worried about the demotion. To me, it makes no sense to demote me. Why can't he just pay me less? I think the demotion is the start of him getting rid of me. I guess I was just wishing there was something I can do(legally?), rather than having to play his game until I lose.

W

Willlyjo

I dont think it matters if I am offered work...if I quit, I get nothing in return..right? I am just worried about the demotion. To me, it makes no sense to demote me. Why can't he just pay me less? I think the demotion is the start of him getting rid of me. I guess I was just wishing there was something I can do(legally?), rather than having to play his game until I lose.
10 dollars per hour will give you about as much as unemployment would give you. I would take the demotion and look for a better job. If you get demoted then subsequently laid off or terminated, you get unemployment. From what you've told us here, you have no legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">