• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied promotion due to favoritism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QDK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I work for a city government department. In May 2008 myself and 4 others were hired as temp to perm employees. Although there were 5 temps hired there were only 3 open permanent positions and the manager basically said we are competing for one of the three open positions. We were told that they will pick the 3 temps that will become permanent in 3 to 4 months. Well, is now Jan. 2009, 2 of the 5 tempts have left and 2 of the employees that were already permanent have left also, therefore there are a total of 5 permanent positions open and only 3 tempts including myself.

The manager did hire one of us permanently and it just so happens to be the guy that he has been friends with since high school...hmmmm. So here's my issue:

1. The manager said the position was temporary for up to 4 months and there were 3 open positions. Well, it’s been 8 months, the positions were never posted for us to see what’s available, there are only 3 temps and now 5 open positions but only one temp was hired permanently and that person just so happens to be a close friend of the manager.

2. The manager hired 4 new people permanently from outside of the organization. 3 or the 4 people are less qualified than myself and the other temp employee that’s been with the company since May 2008.

3. I asked my manager why have I not been hired permanently, and his reply was that he has put hiring me permanently on hold since I will not work weekends. Well working weekends was never a requirement and is not listed in the job description. Also, working weekends is on a voluntary basis. I have worked on weekends twice, each time I was told that we would get paid overtime, but they lied and instead gave us comp time instead of overtime pay. Therefore, I have chosen not to volunteer to work on weekends. I do not need comp time I need overtime pay and I do not feel that I should be penalized for not voluntarily working weekends. I even offered to work on a weekend day if I’m given another day off during the week and the manager refused. So he basically wants me to work 40 hours during the week and then give up my weekends to work for comp time and if I don’t agree to it then he will not hire me permanently. I feel that this is considered blackmailing and the manager is also showing favoritism to his long-term friend, considering that he works on the weekends and he has been friends with the manager since high school.

Please advise if I have any recourse in this situation. I do not feel this is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">