• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairly dismissed? Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pioneer2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL, MI, MA

I just started a new job after being pursued aggressively and via several phone and in-person interviews. They really wanted me and bent over backwards to get me started with online training since I would not be able to attend the in-house training due to medical procedures for my wife. Everything was fine, I thought... I followed every virtual training class and every on-line new hire web-based training suggested. They were my number one priority. i worked late into the night and on weekends and holidays. They even wanted to provide extra training for an upcoming project due to my experience. But in the same day a month later after wanted to give me extra training, they let me go... just like that.

Now during this same time I was working on my off hours finishing up a project for my old employer. They are not a competitor of the new company. In no way would I ever disclose any confidential information. But when the new company found out they kicked me out like yesterday's garbage. Can an employer really require strict allegiance only to them if it does not interfere with the job being done for them? And the other job is not detrimental to the new job's image? It is certainly not illegal.

They did not even give me a chance to defend myself as there were extenuating circumstances involved that were not against company policy. Should we be considered cattle to be bought and sold for the highest bidder?

I cannot help but wonder if they were discriminating against me due to my wife's medical procedures that prevented attending some of these classes in person and delayed, slightly, some of the early tag a long opportunities for on-the-job training. In spite of them being totally aware that my first month was going to be taken up with doctor's appointments for my wife. We agreed that I would be able to work around this during those initial training weeks.

I was even scheduled for an all week out of state training for next week...

But after all that time and money and effort... just dismissed.

What are my rights here? Can they really control our lives to the extent where they can dictate our after hours activities. And I am certainly not referring to illegal activities and anything that would embarrass the company. Just finishing up a project to make some extra money over the holidays to help pay for my wife's medical procedures. What is next? Will they even deny me the right to work at WalMart on the weekend to make a couple extra bucks too?

Again... what are my rights? Is this the face of the corporation that we want to advertise to the world?

What can I do to rectify this situation when they are not even willing to be human beings and hear my side of the story?

Perplexed,
Pioneer2008

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">