• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer failed to report about bed bugs.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3abydoll

I am currently employed part time at a home health agency. There are certain shifts where I am required to stay over night at patient's houses. I noticed mid November that I started to get this hive looking rash along my arms, my lower back and sometimes legs. It was off and on, extremely itchy, and I required two treatments of steroids because they got so bad at one point.

I went through everything I might be allergic to. Current meds, stress, soaps... Nothing turned up. Fast forward to today... I saw this patient I have to stay over at their house and it is usually one night a weekend. I noticed after taking a nap on Sunday that I had welts on my arms again.

After writing an email with a picture attached to my employer, I was contact by their registered nurse that they had a one time incident with bed bugs in the main couch in the living room which is where I rest during the night hours I stay at this patient's house while she is in bed and does not need me. They felt that since it was a one time thing, they did not want to cause alarm in anyone, but isn't it my right to know?

I would like to know what my rights are as an employee. Shouldn't I have been notified? I had to take two separate weeks worth of steroids, I've taken I don't know how many pills of tylenol and ibuprofen to help with the painful itching and swelling of the hives/welts all over my body as they come and go with my weekend trips to this patient's separate. Not to mention the fact I work a full time day job, where I sit at a desk and have to consciously remind myself not to scratch constantly. There is honestly very little that really helps when I get these things outbreaks, unless I'm able to lay down with a cold compress. There is also the trip to the doctor and phone calls back and forth made trying to figure out what is going on with my skin, and topical creams I've had to buy to at least try.

If anyone can shed light on what my rights are... That would be great.

Thank you so much, and I wish you a Happy New Year !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">