• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DC to PA move due to spouse relocation - Unemployment Available?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JGo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Currently living in PA (Philly suburbs), former VA resident, working in DC.

We lived in VA and my wife worked in DC for 5+ years as a government contractor. My employer was in the process of transferring my position from VA to DC, and I wound up finding a new job in the Philly area instead. As timing would have it, my wife was due to give birth about 2 weeks after I started the new job, so new employer allowed me to work in VA for a while. The whole family has relocated to PA since June, though my wife held off filing for unemployment until October because she was looking for a comparable job here (there aren't any - gov't contracting isn't quite as popular here as in DC!).

She's been dutifuly filing here unemployment claims each week, and we keep getting a notice saying that benefits cannot be paid because of unresolved issues. She called several times, but it seems that DC "lost" her unemployment folder until I called and raised a fuss. Now they're finally telling us that her resignation was "voluntary", and thus she doesn't qualify for benefits. I've seen that some other states do offer benefits to those whose spouses relocate outside of a "reasonable commuting distance". Does anyone know what DC's REAL take on this is? I've done some searching, but can't find a concrete answer, and we're going to have to appeal soon (the rejection letter is supposed to go out tomorrow).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">