• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Offers/retractions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rebeccaf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

Is there any legal action I can take against this company? ...I was offered a position with this company, I have all documentation in writing and also all email communications. I was asked to report to work 01/05/09. On 01/03/09 I received a call from the president stating that a deal they had been working on fell through and they could no longer afford to hire for this position. Since I had quit my current job for this one (with no way of returning to my previous job), and had no warning whatsoever... I am out of more than a months' salary already with more coming. He told me he had found this out 12/31/08, when I asked why he had not told me sooner, he stated it was a holiday... I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make up my salary at the very least since none of the documents stated anywhere that the position was contingent upon a deal with a new client- had I known that, I would have looked for a back-up plan and probably accepted the offer... Please help... THANKS

pattytx

I wouldn't be terribly optimistic, but it couldn't hurt to have a brief consultation with an attorney regarding detrimental reliance.

At will and as I've stated before I don't think people can reasonably win any cases like this against an employer. However, if you do actually win, PLEASE report back. I for one would like to read about one success story on stuff like this. I've heard the stories, but never seen the "evidence".

On a side note, next time do NOT quit your current job. People in IT could have told you that. Since you really can't depend on employers or "new employers" to even keep the job they promise you - you are better off NOT giving notice and quitting. Those ideas are from the old days pre-Bush, etc. In today's America this thing they call employment is a free for all and you really gotta look out for #1 at all times. In many cases today, I'd be tempted to not quit at all or quit the day AFTER starting a new post depending on the circumstances. Above all remember, employment is at will. You can be fired or you can quit at any time for any reason and if possible with or without notice.

I wouldn't be terribly optimistic, but it couldn't hurt to have a brief consultation with an attorney regarding detrimental reliance.
Hmmm... the person is unemployed in a terrible economy and you are suggesting she spend hundreds or maybe thousands to find out if there is a case on something that at 1st,2nd, and 3rd glance appears a no win situation? Sorry, but I don't think so. Remeber

"BRIEF" with ATTORNEY = $250 give or take a few dollars. FACT.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hmmm... the person is unemployed in a terrible economy and you are suggesting she spend hundreds or maybe thousands to find out if there is a case on something that at 1st,2nd, and 3rd glance appears a no win situation? Sorry, but I don't think so. Remeber

"BRIEF" with ATTORNEY = $250 give or take a few dollars. FACT.
sylvesterfl - I suggest you read up on "detrimental reliance" before you make yourself sound even more ...well, you know.

sylvesterfl - I suggest you read up on "detrimental reliance" before you make yourself sound even more ...well, you know.
Is a job offer a "promise"? I don't think so. If I were you'd I'd answer that question before you sound even more ... well, you know.

MYTH. The Lawyer's Referral Service through the local Bar Association has attorneys who will meet with potential clients for $100 or less for a half-hour conversation.
Not for this kind of non-case. I don't know what planet/country some of you folks come from. Even if it were "$100 for 1/2 hour" - this person is UNEMPLOYED and in a bad economy. No point in throwing good money and time after bad. I'd advise continue to look for work and I'm right! :)

eerelations

Is a job offer a "promise"? I don't think so. If I were you'd I'd answer that question before you sound even more ... well, you know.
You obviously didn't do any reading up on "detrimental reliance" before ramming both of your feet into your mouth and sounding like...well, you know. :rolleyes:

eerelations

Not for this kind of non-case. I don't know what planet/country some of you folks come from. Even if it were "$100 for 1/2 hour" - this person is UNEMPLOYED and in a bad economy. No point in throwing good money and time after bad. I'd advise continue to look for work and I'm right! :)
Not only are there lots of attorneys who'll consult for half an hour for $100, there are many who'll do it for free. FACT :rolleyes:

Not only are there lots of attorneys who'll consult for half an hour for $100, there are many who'll do it for free. FACT :rolleyes:
OH YA! Name ONE.

Are you crazy? With all the millions being hired/fired/screwed over and you think there is even one attorney that will do this kind of case? Think again. What part of at will employment don't you understand? The AT or the WILL?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OH YA! Name ONE.

Are you crazy? With all the millions being hired/fired/screwed over and you think there is even one attorney that will do this kind of case? Think again. What part of at will employment don't you understand? The AT or the WILL?
Please read up before you spew.

las365

I have an idea! Let's talk about the OP's situation.

OP, if you are still around, what were the circumstances under which you got the new job? Were you actively seeking other employment?

eerelations

OH YA! Name ONE.

You obviously didn't do any reading up on our qualifications before ramming both of your feet into your mouth - again! - and sounding like...well, you know. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">