• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming belongings from towed car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeeGore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
My car was towed from a parking lot near my home in Eagen, while I was out of town. The tow bill is $700 more than the car is worth. The tow company told me I cannot get my personal belongings from the car until the bill is paid. Can they hold my things until I pay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

j991

No the cannot. They can charge you for the oppotunity to retrieve your belongings from the vehicle, but cannot keep you away from your property. They can keep the car until you pay the bill, but nothing in the car. If they continue to deny you access contact your local law enforcement office or district attorneys office.

DeeGore

Does that mean they could charge $700 to get my things back? I talked to someone on the phone and he said he will call me back after he talks to the boss about paying some of the bill to get my things from the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">