• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they fire my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitkat30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, My husband recieved a reprimand letter for a policy that was in effect prior to his hire and now come to find out that the owners didn't know about it and they claim the monies that cam from this policy were there's and are calling him (and others) immoral and unethical. So, many of us in the family and many other opinons from other in position of major managment suggest that he doesn't sign it. We have decided that regardless he is not going to sign it because the way it's written it sounds as if they are trying to put themselves in a position to be able to prosecute him for the money back.
According to a laywer my husband and the others involved did nothing illegal so without going into all the details, let me just clarify that now.
So back to the question at hand....can they fire him for refusing to sign this reprimand and if so what would the grounds be?

I don't know WHAT you just babbled about in most incoherent English. However, of course your husband can be fired and they don't need any "grounds" to do it. In this country we need "grounds" to make coffee but not to fire people.

ecmst12

Sylvester, you should move to Montana or Canada. Those places do not follow the at-will employment that the other 49 states follow. Short of that, look at the bright side and remember at-will goes both ways. You don't need to have a reason or provide any notice to quit your job any more then your employer needs to have a reason to fire you. You are protected from discrimination on the basis of characteristics like sex, race, and religion, so it's not like there are NO laws that must be followed. And unemployment insurance is there to help those who are fired for no reason or for no fault of their own, so it's not like you are working totally without a safety net.

Now, quit whining.

Who says I'm whining?

Also, about the "safety net". You must be kidding. The post Bush job market is arguably the worst job market in the history of the United States! The safety net caught fire and burned up back in 2000. Any additional safety nets were sent to China and India. I think I may never find employment in the IT field again outside of small jobs through my small biz which just aren't paying the bills. Now, I'm WHINING :) (and telling the sad truth)

ecmst12

The economy sucks EVERYWHERE, it's a GLOBAL financial crisis. I wasn't referring to the crappy job market when I talked about a safety net, I meant the availability of Unemployment Compensation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">