• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidential Information and Inventions Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minnproper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I was recently laid off, and they said they would pay me for the remainder of the week. I was later asked to sign a confidentiality agreement, which I refused to do so after the fact. They presented me with an ultimatum that if I did not sign, they would only pay me for the time I was in on Monday morning (the day I was let go). Their response to me was:

"Your refusal to cooperate suggests to us that confidential information may not be secure with you."

My questions are:

1. Can they legally use that as leverage to get me to sign the document after they stated to me that I would be compensated for the week? (if so I am willing to give up the money in exchange for freedom from such an agreement)

2. What kind of response can I expect from them by not signing this document? Do they have any legal recourse in this?

3. What legal recourse do I have?

4. Is there anything I haven't thought of that I should have? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

1. Can they legally use that as leverage to get me to sign the document after they stated to me that I would be compensated for the week? (if so I am willing to give up the money in exchange for freedom from such an agreement)
They sure can.
2. What kind of response can I expect from them by not signing this document? Do they have any legal recourse in this?
You can expect them to give your final wages and no they don't have any legal recourse, unless you are leaving something out.
3. What legal recourse do I have?
None, unless you had a bona fide contract or were part of a collective bargaing agreement, nothing you have posted suggests that the employer has violated any laws.
4. Is there anything I haven't thought of that I should have?
Nope, move on and find another job.

minnproper

Another question occurred to me, can they only pay me for the 1-hour I was there on the day they let me go? Or do they have to compensate me for the whole day? I am salary, not hourly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">