• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alaska SIS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sourtaste

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska
I am twenty-five years old, and had a question regarding expunging a criminal record. When I had just turned 18 I was convicted of theft 4 (shoplifting an item under $20.00) and was granted a SIS after a year of not committing any similar crimes. I was under the impression that since the conviction was set aside, I would not have to list in on job applications. I got a job at a well paying union company the next year, and didn't list in on my application. Then out of no where, two years later, they ran a background check on me and fired me for intentionally falsifying my application. Since then, I have not been able to get any jobs I am qualified to do, or the pay I should be getting. I feel like this SIS thing is a sham, and I really need to find a way to get a true expungement. This happened in Anchorage Alaska.

SIS stands for....

SIS stands for "suspended imposition of sentence", Which means if you stay clean the required time period the sentence or time hanging over your head goes away. It does not mean the crime is expunged from your record.

sourtaste

I know what SIS stands for, but when they gave me my documentation, the paper read that the conviction was discharged and set aside. The woman at the records office told me that I could honestly say I hadn't been convicted of a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">