• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preparing Will for Grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erin4grampies

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am my grandparents caretaker and am trying to help them update all of their legal forms including their wills. Both of their children have passed away in the last 2 years and we are needing to change the wills to leave everything evenly to the 4 grandchildren. I have "Quicken lawyer" and have also looked online for a will that would accommodate that and have not had much luck. All of the standard forms list the children and the only other standard form I have found that deals with grandchildren deals with trusts. We are all adults so that does not apply. They are on a very fixed income so I am trying to make this as cost effective as possible. I am hoping someone can steer me in a direction that will not incur lawyers fees etc.
Thanks.
Erin

seniorjudge

My recommendation is that you use a lawyer.

Shop around.

Doing it yourself could land all the heirs in a lawsuit.

There are a number of places to look for low cost/reduced cost attorneys, especially for senior citizens:

- call the bar association for your county and ask for a referral to a low cost clinic;
- ask at church if the senior group has a list of referrals;
- call the nearest law school and ask if they have a clinic; or
- call the local senior citizen's center and ask.

Get a few names and call. Most lawyers do a standard reciprocal will package at a reasonable fee .. as suggested, a few dollars spent now will save considerably later (especially if there is property involved).

Erin4grampies

grandparents will

Thank you very much for the advice.
I wanted to elaborate a bit to confirm I really should pursue a lawyer to do this. First I DO want to make sure and get this right. I take my responsibilities very seriously in regards to their care...I have been looking out for them the last several years. However, things are pretty straight forward. The point of the will is directed more at dealing with any remaining financial obligations etc. after we loose them as opposed to big inheritance of money or property. Their are only 4 grandchildren involved and we are all on very good terms. None of us have any concern about the money except that we want what little they have left to last them their remaining years. There is no property involved either.

tranquility

Two things. The first is that you are not allowed to practice law. If you prepare a will and make the decisions asked for in the software, you are practicing law. This could be a problem. The second is that even though everyone agrees now, it is never a good idea to get between a person and free money. Never.

See...actually, have your parents see an attorney.

anteater

Are they bound now? :confused:
You, sir, are now liable for the replacement of a monitor, keyboard, and mouse due to excessive Wheaties and milk damage. Please send a check for $500 to:

Retirement Home for Toothless Mammals of the Genus Myrmecophaga
c/o anteater
Belmopan, Belize

:D:D:D:D

Erin4grampies

grandparents will

I am not sure what you mean by bound..but they are both disabled and in assisted living. They are my mother's parents and she is deceased as well as their son.
Like I said, I look after them and all of their affairs.
Guess I will shop around for an inexpensive laywer......next question. Are there lawyers that can come to them??? It is very difficult to get them out because of their health issues. Just going to the doctor is a major thing.

curb1

This is not that difficult. Many here are throwing roadblocks, rather than helping. A very basic will can cover this situation. From my experience, a person in our family had assets of about $500,000 and a one page will provided by a county senior assistance person. It was very simple and straight forward. The estate was dispersed in a very efficient manner with no problems.

Then there was another uncle who had a lawyer prepared will/trust that took 2 years to disperse assets with a lawyer handling the trust. And this estate was as simple as the previously mentioned estate.

If they are in assisted living, ask the management if they have a recommendation to check out. This is familiar territory for them.

Most lawyers will go to assisted living centers and even bring the required witnesses. That should not be a problem.

By the way, while you're at it, be sure the related docs - health care powers of attorney, HIPPA notices, directives to physicians, etc. are all up to date - most attorneys do it as a package. Those are going to be particularly important in your situation, since there are no children around.

Good luck

(thanks for the chuckle, senior judge!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">