• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical employee treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fabian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I had a work related injury 08/24/07. Surgery was 01/22/08. Since then conditions have worsened and I still have not returned to work. 3 different doctors say I need surgery but the WC insurance comp. says I don't. That part is a whole different question and case. But what I am asking here is: the company canceled my family's health and life insurance in 02/08. I could not afford my monthly Blood Pressure meds so I have gone with out. I still don't have insurance. If I were to die from this injury my family has nothing since I have no life ins. now. Then on 04/01/08 I receive a letter telling me effective 04/19/08 my position will be eliminated, complete the attached info and send it in which I did. Then on 05/10/08 I get a letter telling me my severance pay check would be mailed out in 30 days. After 30 days I called, they told me my check will be mailed in 7 days. Keep in mind I have a family of 5 including 3 children, 1 of them a special needs child. I can't support us on 25% of what I was earning. We have gone through our entire savings. So it's obvious we needed this severance check. When I called in August and spoke to the regional VP he asked me where I had been and why I left. The records showed that I didn't show up one day so I was fired. Then I began receiving employee news letters so I call and I'm told that I must resign because they are not going to pay me severance since I had a WC claim which is from their faulty equipment. I was forced to get Gov. medical assistance for my Children but I can't get insurance for me because my coverage was canceled. There was one company who said I was high risk since I didn't have insurance. I tried to explain to them the situation.

Can a major corporation do this to an employee? My other questions and issues relate to the injury and medical mal-practice issue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even for a workers comp claim, the employer is not required to go on covering you indefinitely. They continued your health insurance for several months longer than they were required to by law, and they actually held your job longer than required by law as well.

Severance is not required by law in 47 states, including Georgia, and would not be required by law in these circumstances even in the other three. It is actually quite rare for severance to be offered in workers comp cases.

While I understand how hard the situation is on you and I realize how upset you are, nothing your employer has done violates the law and they've actually done more for you than required by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">