• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract and Wrongful Dismissal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Last year i gave notice for a great job opportunity that provided a substantial increase in pay and equity. My boss who is one of the owners of my current company, made several counteroffers which I eventually accepted.

Before accepting he asking if I had any concerns and I voiced one about not making goals -I was literally told that I would never have to worry about getting laid off and that I am part of the family there. In return he asked that if I accept the counter offer, that the condition would be that I would commit to staying longer then 1 year.

A few months later I was laid off. Does this constitute a verbal contract or any other areas that could be considered a wrongful dismissal?

seniorjudge

Q: Does this constitute a verbal contract or any other areas that could be considered a wrongful dismissal?

A: No.

ecmst12

Although it was stupid of him to make such a statement, it would never be considered an enforceable contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">