• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Power of Attorne

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Still Crazy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My mom is currently in an independent living/assisted living facility. She has been there for one year and has been diagnosed to be in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's disease. She is currently 80 years old. She is in the independent living area of this facility and is able to clean her apartment and generally take care of herself. My brother takes care of her medications right now and my sister (both of them live nearby) takes care of paying her bills (she is jointly named on my Mom's checking account).

I live in Florida and visit the area about 4 x a year. We are considering having a Power of Attorney drawn up before our Mom gets to the point where she can not make any decisions for herself. My question is can there be more than one person named who has the power of attorney or do you have to have only one? I'm sure there can be a secondary person named in case something were to happen to the first one. Also, can you put into the document that the person with power of attorney has to consult with all three children before anything is done using the power of attorney?

Any help will be appreciated.

anteater

Generally, a principal can grant power of attorney to as many agents as he/she wishes. I don't know Wisconsin law specifically, but I seriously doubt that it contains a prohibition against that.

Which is not to say that it is the greatest idea in the world. In fact I would say that it is a downright bad idea. And the part about having to consult with all 3 children is about as bad an idea.

All in all, a potential confused mess.

Mother could put a provision in the document that the agent must provide an accounting to specified individuals (like the other siblings) on a regular basis - maybe quarterly.

Last edited:

stilen621

Anteater makes some great points. I am my mom`s POA and I have to provide accountings to my lovely brother via his lovely attorney by a licensed CPA. Who luckly is my girlfriend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">