• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Read applications/tests to Dyslexics?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

E Lanie

My brother took the entrance test to get into a construction type of union job in California. He failed because he is dyslexic. I encouraged him to tell the union he needed the test read to him. He did. He called several times and was never given an answer if they could or would do this for him. So he struggled and took the test again. He said they treated him differently at this test-like he was a trouble maker. They then accused him of cheating, and would not let him have his test back to see the results. It appears that they simply don't want the hassle of having to work around his disability. Is dyslexia a disability, and does he have any recourse?

L

loku

Dislexia

Federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act, or ADA) makes it unlawful to discriminate against an otherwise qualified disabled person in a workplace. Workplace protection covers job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, training, recruitment, advertising, tenure, layoffs, leaves, fringe benefits, and so forth. There are some exceptions, such as when a person’s disability prevents him or her from meeting reasonable qualifications for the job.

An individual is disabled under the ADA only if he or she is substantially limited in the ability to perform a "major life activity." Examples of major life activities include walking, seeing, and working. I don’t know if dyslexia is considered a disability under this definition, but it seems to me that being substantially limited in the ability to read, may very well qualify.

The thing for him to do is to file a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Charges may be filed in person, by mail or by telephone by contacting the nearest EEOC office. If there is not an EEOC office in the immediate area, call toll free 800-669-4000 or 800-669-6820 (TDD) for more information. To avoid delay, call or write beforehand if you need special assistance, such as an interpreter, to file a charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">